Friday, October 28, 2011

American Born Chinese

This week I chose to check out American Born Chinese. The stereotyping can be seen just in the title of this comic- blatantly labeling this character with his race. I enjoyed the fact that his comic has three different sections to it, with them all combining in the end and effecting each other. This helped keep the plot interesting, and prevented boredom. The tale that I found most intriguing would be the second tale with the boy, Jin, I thought his struggles and daily challenges caused by his stereotype was very heart wrenching. His crush on Amelia was very touching and cute and I appreciate the fact that she didn't let the cultural differences change her thoughts and feelings for Jin- unlike their classmates. I seem to find out right stereotyping so hard to watch-- or in this case read. Especially, when we are all human- we all make the same mistakes and have feelings. The other two tales dealing with kung-fu and Chinese folk lore was also a nice touch- it gave me a cool incite into some of the cultural aspects in China. The next thing that stood out to me was the style found in this comic- I adore the simplicity of the characters. I believe this makes it easier for me to relate to them, and to create an attachment to them. It made me really feel for Jin and all his obstacles he had to face. In the end, I thought this was a very good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment