Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Arrival.


Shaun Tan's
The Arrival
   
   I didn't really think much of this comic when I first saw it on the "to read" list, it didn't really perk my interests. Then I started reading watching it.. I mean you can't really read a wordless book now can you? This comic played out in my mind as if it were a movie. The images were all very clear and easy to interpret. The story became very intriguing and caught my attention after the first few pages. I enjoyed how creative Shaun Tan was with his creatures found throughout the comic- I really loved the little guy pictured on the cover. I felt the story had a positive moral about family matters and how a father cared about his wife and child. The struggles he went through in order to meet their needs and find a way to survive. I could just feel the emotion in each of the images- the ending where he finally see's his family again was especially emotional. The image just screamed how happy they all were when they were finally reunited. I also liked how the pictures seemed very worn and old, it gave the story more of a graver feel- the changes of color also helped a lot to tell when the flashbacks occurred. Its really amazing how you can read all these emotions and understand this mans story just from pictures, I guess this just goes to show that a picture really is worth a thousand words! 

No comments:

Post a Comment